WELCOME TO THE 3rd WORKSHOP ON
"CELLULAR UAV AND SATELLITE COMMUNICATIONS"
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
The current decade will see an exponential growth in the number of UAVs employed for public and industrial purposes and, likewise, in the amount of data they generate and transfer in real-time to and from ground networks. The corresponding communication KPIs include end-to-end delays in the order of milliseconds and a minimal tolerable lack of connectivity along the itinerary.
Unlike present-day deployments, where UAV users are yet to become commonplace, 5G and 6G networks might have to meet the above requirements for a large number of connected and fully autonomous UAVs at once. In light of these challenges, and with the aim of integrating UAV communications in cellular networks, the 3GPP has been working on an enhanced LTE and NR support for aerial vehicles. Following this vertical expansion, the cellular industry and academia have gone one step forward: Integrating satellite communications in next-generation networks with the ultimate goal of supporting the “Internet of Everyone”. Indeed, GEO, MEO, and LEO satellites, as well as HAPs, are positioned to cover underserved areas and/or to complement ground connectivity in urban areas. Several research questions, however, remain unanswered in terms of power and latency limitations, deployment and architecture, antenna design, and the role of AI in optimizing the terrestrial and non-terrestrial cellular network of tomorrow.
In light of the unprecedented interest in this field, the 3rd Workshop on “Cellular UAV and Satellite Communications” at Globecom 2023 will bring together academic researchers, industrial practitioners, and individuals working on cellular UAV and satellite communications to share new ideas and findings towards 6G.
Topics of interest for this workshop include but are not limited to:
- Performance analysis of UAV, HAPs, and satellite communication systems
- Channel measurements and modeling for UAV, HAPs, and satellite communication links
- Network architectures and protocols for UAV, HAPs, and satellite communications
- Antenna design for UAV, HAPs, and satellite communications
- Access and backhaul management strategies for UAV, HAPs, and satellite communications
- Spectrum management and multiple access schemes for UAV, HAPs, and satellite communications
- Interference mitigation and mobility management for UAV, HAPs, and satellite communications
- Multi-antenna techniques for UAV, HAPs, and satellite communications
- Millimeter wave UAV, HAPs, and satellite communications
- UAV, HAPs, and satellite placement and trajectory design
- Energy model and energy supplying methods of UAV, HAPs, and satellite communications
- Cyber and physical-layer security of UAV, HAPs, and satellite communications
- Machine learning and AI for integrating multi-layered terrestrial and non-terrestrial networks
- Machine learning and AI for enabling fully autonomous UAV, HAPs, and satellite networks
- Integrated sensing and communications for UAVs, HAPs, and satellites
- Experimental demos, prototyping, and field-trials for UAV, HAPs, and satellite communications
- Standardization, regulatory, and business frameworks for UAV, HAPs, and satellite communications
- Paper submission deadline: 29 July 2023
- Dr. Marco Giordani, University of Padova, Italy
- Dr. Giovanni Geraci, Telefonica Research and UPF Barcelona, Spain
TECHNICAL PROGRAM COMMITTEE (TPC) CO-CHAIRS:
- Dr. Aymen Fakhreddine, Technology Innovation Institute, Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Dr. Evgenii Vinogradov, Technology Innovation Institute, Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Dr. Vuong Mai, Bradford-Renduchintala Centre for Space AI, University of Bradford, UK
- Dr. Stefano Cioni, European Space Agency, Noordwijk, The Netherlands
Title: The 3GPP NTN standardization journey: from 5G to 6G
MINI-TUTORIAL (YOUNG PROFESSIONAL SESSION)
In this brand-new format, two high-quality Young Professional speakers will give 30-min technical talks on specific topics related to UAV and satellite communication, to present practical tools, applications, results, methods, that attendees can apply in their work and/or research.
- Dr. Mustafa A. Kishk, Maynooth University, Ireland
Title: Stochastic Geometry-based Analysis of LEO Satellite-enabled Communication Systems
- Dr. Melisa Maria Lopez Lechuga, Aalborg University, Denmark
Title: Integrating Terrestrial and Non-Terrestrial Networks: An Experimental Evaluation